BBA Challenge: Greek Celebration Bread


My copy of Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice arrived in the mail this past week, and I decided to start with the second bread in the series since I've already made anadama.  This bread is a Greek Celebration bread and it is DIVINE, I'll tell you that for free...

The ingredients:


I mixed the dry ingredients, namely bread flour, instant yeast, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ground cloves and lemon peel.




Then the wet ingredients: poolish that I made yesterday, eggs, milk, olive oil, honey, almond extract...














I mixed with a wooden spoon until it pulled together then dumped on onto floured cutting board to knead:














After 10 minutes of kneading, the dough was ready to go for it's first proof:



 Placed in a bowl that I sprayed with oil, sprayed the top with oil, then covered with plastic wrap and let rise for 90 minutes. My "rising place" is my oven, it's dark and an even temp. We won't talk about the times I've accentally turned it on, forgetting I had something rising in there. Here it is when I pulled it out...much larger:



Returned to cutting board, removed a portion to use later as I was making the Christopsomos pattern, and formed into a Boule' then set back into oven for second proofing:




After 90 more minutes I shaped the top parts then baked in the oven (that had been preheated during the finishing touches) at 350 degrees for 20, then I rotated the pan and baked another 20 minutes.  Mixed up the glaze and Voila!





Yum!

2 comments:

Cioara Andrei said...

Foarte interesat subiectul postat de tine, m-am uitat pe blogul tau si imi place ce am vazu am sa mai revin cu siguranta.
O zi buna!

Jennifer B said...

You make it look easy!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you...thanks for leaving a message!