Crockpot Wednsday: Apple Cake


I decided to join some interesting memes today, out of lack of ideas to a.) write about and b) a cooking ideas funk.  Don't we all need new ideas of things to do and cook?  The first one I'm joining is the Crock Pot Wednsdays meme started by Debbie at Dining With Debbie.



I pulled out my copy of the Fix It and Forget It cookbook to find an idea for a dessert, since I had already planned tacos for dinner tonight. The Apple Cake recipe jumped out at me since I have some apples to use and the ingredient list isn't too long.  Let me tell you, this is a cinch to put together! First, grab an assistant:


Then grab some apples.  I used Granny Smith:


Chop them and set aside, then chop some pecans or walnuts:

 

Instead of the oil in this recipe I used applesauce because I'm fat and 1 cup of oil seemed excessive. I keep the little mini cups for this purpose because I have a super small fridge (thank you Navy Housing) and this keeps a lot longer in the pantry:




Mix the sugar (again, I'm fat, so I used 1 cup of splenda/sugar blend)  eggs, applesauce (or oil), vanilla and eggs.  I love the dutch eggs we get at the commissary here, they are such a lovely bright orange:




 

Add the apples to the wet mix, which I forgot to photograph.

Then put your flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg in a sifter and sift into the bowl with the wet ingredients.  Your helper comes in really handy here if you're taking pictures, plus I think this was the most fun part for Sam:

 

Then add the nuts and mix up the whole mess:


Put this into a bread or cake pan that will fit into your crock pot.  I have a large crock pot, but the only pan that I had that would fit was a bread loaf pan so that's what I used:




Then you just sit it into the crockpot, cover and set it to high and let her rip for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.












When time is up, take out pan and let cool for 5 minutes.  Try to resist cutting or pulling pieces off if you can. If you can, you're a stronger person than I...


OH MY.  Please pass the ice cream.



Apple Cake
by Esther Becker and Wanda S. Curtin
Makes 8-10 servings

2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups chopped apples
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1. Beat together sugar, oil and eggs.  Add vanilla.
2. Add apples. Mix well.
3. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg.
4. Pour batter into greased and floured bread or cake pan that fits into your slow cooker.  Cover with pan's lid, or greased tin foil.  Place pan in slow cooker.  Cover cooker.
5. Bake on High 3 1/2-4 hours.  Let cake stand in pan for 5 minutes after removing from slow cooker.
6. Remove cake from pan, slice and serve.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Fix It and Forget It is my favorite cookbook right now! Thanks for sharing the cake recipe, I have never baked in my crockpot...may have to give it a try! Cute helper too!

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

I have never baked in my crock pot either, but that looks awesome!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you...thanks for leaving a message!