In which I am buried in paperwork and where I bake Andama bread.

My son made it into Doddea's Sure Start preschool program.  That's a big YAY in my book..the boy really NEEDS to go to school.  There is just the problem of the mountain of paperwork.  I absolutely hate paperwork.  Knowing that I must fill it out accurately guarantees that I'll mess up and the form will be filled with scratch-outs and white outs.

Also, Skye needs physical therapy due to the fact that she is 9 months old and isn't sitting, crawling or standing. So there is more, with possibly a trip off-base to another radiology clinic to look at her hip.

All this with my husband deploying next week is causing major stress.  I need bread.  Luckily I have a fresh, delicious loaf of Andama bread.  The story about this bread, which I've found at many sources, is that way back a man named John had a wife named Anna who made him the same, boring corn mush every day.  One day, fed up with the same ole' same ole', he yelled "Anna, damn her!" and mixed some yeast and flour into the mush, creating the first loaf of Annadamnher bread, or what is pronounced now: Anadama.

This is a delicious loaf of bread.  Slightly sweet and dark, we enjoyed it with butter along with our supper of steaks and salad.

I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com...I'm waiting for my copy of Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice so I made do with this recipe for now.  When I get the book I'll start with the second bread in the series.

The Ingredients:

 
All purpose flour, corn meal, molasses, salt, water and yeast.  Not pictured, butter.
I mixed 1/2 cup water with 1/4 cup corn meal in a pot on the stove and cooked until boiling.  When it thickens turn off heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup molasses.  Mix well, the set aside to cool.  Meanwhile proof your yeast with 1/2 c warm water in bowl for 10 minutes.  When the molasses mixture is lukewarm (this coincided with the 10 minute proofing...sometimes you win!) mix into the yeast then add 2 cups of flour.  Mix in one last cup 1/2 c at a time until dough pulls together.  Turn out onto a  well floured surface and knead:
Knead for 8-10 minutes...mine took 10 to pass the windowpane test.
Place dough in greased bowl and cover with towl or greased plastic wrap and set in a warm dark place; I had warmed up my oven and placed it in there.
 
Let rise until doubled....it took about an  hour.
 

Punch down dough, or poke a hole like I did:


Turn out onto floured surface, shape into loaf and place in loaf pan:
 
Cover and let rise again for another 30 minutes.  Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes until the top is golden and the loaf sounds hollow when knocked on.


I sort of cracked the top when I took the bread out of the pan, so it wasn't as pretty as it could have been, but  dang did it taste good!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you...thanks for leaving a message!