FNCC: Bobby Flay's BBQ Chicken Quesadilla/smoked tomato salsa/buttermilk dressing






The chef for this week of the FNCC is Bobby Flay of Boy Meets Grill.  I chose to do his  BBQ chicken quesadillas with smoked tomato salsa and buttermilk dressing.  These really are knock your socks off fantastic...great food for football season!

First thing I made was the salsa, earlier today so that the flavors could meld.







I couldn't find smoked tomatoes or even plum tomatoes (I'm in Italy so that's bad!) so I used these delicious Picadilly tomatoes...they're slightly larger than cherry tomatoes and so delicious to snack on.  Chop these, enough to equal what 8 plum tomatoes would be.











To this add 3 chopped cloves of garlic.











Half a serrano pepper, chopped. Or a chili pepper like I used, since there were no serranos.












Add about 3 tbsp of chopped cilantro.












3 tbsps of balsamic vinegar...











Mix all well, then refrigerate until ready to use.



Then I made the buttermilk dressing so it, too, had time to let the flavors meld.










Mix buttermilk...












Sour cream...













very finely chopped garlic...












finely chopped red onion...











Cayenne pepper...I used half of what the recipe calls for, my family are light weights...










Finally, about 3-4 tbsp lime juice.  I used a whole lime.  Stir and refridgerate until ready to eat.



Chicken:









Marinate 1 lb chicken thighs in 2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce for at least 2 hours in the fridge.












Grill chicken until done, then set aside to let cool.











When chicken is cool and easy to handle, chop then mix with additional 1 cup of barbecue sauce.  Set aside.


Cheese:









Equal amounts monterey jack (or pepper jack) and white cheddar...about 2 cups of each.











Shred them combine.













Thinly slice a red onion.  I love this stuff, I can eat it on just about anything..even raw. No, really, my breath is fine, why do you ask?

Putting it together:







Lightly oil a pan.  Place a tortilla on it, then top with cheese, red onion, then chicken.  Top with another tortilla and brush the top with oil.  Sprinkle with ancho chili powder.  Lather, rinse, repeat. Bake at 450 degrees for 5-7 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is melted.  I actually had to flip them for an extra minute to make sure both sides were golden.










Nice and golden with cheese peeking out..you know this will be good!











Cut in fourths for easy handling...












Bon Appetit!  Drizzle quesadilla with dressing then top with salsa.

Next week:  Paula Deen!  I'll be making her Peach tart...See more challenge entries at I Blame My Mother - FNCC challenge.










8 comments:

PigsDoFLy said...

Sounds like a great final product, although it seems like a lot of steps to get there. Did it feel like a lot of work?

Sarah said...

This sounds wonderful....and your pictures are beautiful. Love the fresh salsa. I could eat it with almost everything. Thanks for participating in FNCCC! Enjoy the rest of your week~

SnoWhite said...

Those look so great!! Yummy.

newlyweds said...

Oh wow these look so good, I love the dipping sauce, and baking them instead of using a skillet. What a great recipe!

mub said...

Oh my gosh these look good! I'm bookmarking this one =D

Ticia said...

oh that does look yummy.

The First-Year Wife said...

That looks delicious! I think hubby and I would both love that recipe!

Gina said...

Thanks everyone! Yes it was a lot of steps and work, but so good and worth it! I ate the salsa the next day with black bean chips!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you...thanks for leaving a message!