FNCC Challenge Brian Boitano: Spicy chicken Bites with Derby Dip

 

The chef this week for the Food Network Challenge hosted at I Blame My Mother  was Brian Boitano.  I didn't even know about him having a show...I just thought he was a figure skater.  Browsing the recipe comments looking for something good has shown me that he's very popular on Food Network now...you learn something new everyday.  I made his Spicy Fried Chicken Bites with Derby Dip last night and I now see the reason for his popularity.  This recipe is a good one!  Spicy, crispy fried chicken with a creamy dip that has bacon in it...what's not to love?  Recipe,photos and process after the jump:





First cut your chicken into bite size pieces..I did this while the chicken was still frozen...


Combine chicken with  buttermilk and hot sauce.  I used Tabasco. Once a New Orleans girl, always a New Orleans girl.


Cover with plastic wrap and marinate at least two hours. Meanwhile fry bacon.  The recipe says to do it in the oven on a cookie sheet but I did it in my microwave bacon pan.  Save two tablespoons of the grease, toss the rest.  Let the bacon cool completely then crumble into little pieces.







In a medium bowl combine flour, cayenne, garlic, paprika, salt and black pepper.  Whishk together.




Take chicken from buttermilk mix and roll in flour.  Place on plate and continue until all chicken is coated.


Toss chicken in buttermilk again.



Again in the flour mix...


Then onto a plate.  Recoat all pieces then set aside.


Heat oil in pan to 350 degrees.

Fry in batches...about 3-4 minutes per side.



Drool over the smell.


Drain on a wire rack.  Alton Brown says this keeps fried foods  crispy.



In a separate bowl combine sour cream, mayonnaise and blue cheese.  Stir.

Stir in crumbled bacon.



Serve the sauce with the chicken.  Delicious!  Make sure to visit iblamemom.blogspot.com for more entries!
Spicy Chicken Bites with Derby Dip
Adapted from a recipe by Brian Boitano at foodnetwork.com

Ingredients

  • 4 strips bacon
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons hot sauce
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups canola oil

Derby Dip:

  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup blue cheese, room temperature, cut into small pieces

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Put the bacon onto a baking sheet and bake until crisp about 12 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Once the bacon is cool enough to handle, chop into small pieces.
Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. In a large bowl combine the buttermilk, hot sauce, and chicken. Cover and let marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
In a glass baking dish, whisk together the flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and add to the seasoned flour. Make sure all the chicken pieces are thoroughly coated. Remove the chicken from the flour mixture and put back into the buttermilk. Remove chicken from buttermilk and put back into the seasoned flour mixture for a second coating. Transfer the double coated chicken to a baking sheet and reserve.
Heat the canola oil in a large cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F. Add the reserved 2 tablespoons bacon fat. Working in batches, fry the chicken until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked chicken to a sheet pan lined with paper towels.
In a medium bowl stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise and blue cheese. Stir in the crumbled bacon.
Serve the chicken with the Derby Dip on the side.


7 comments:

Sarah said...

I saw this one and drooled. I just don't like frying stuff - but I like eating fried stuff :) I would love to try it. Thanks for cooking along with me. Such fun to see what everyone made!

mub said...

I made this one too! I decided to bake it instead of frying it so I made some changes but you're right, it's really yummy!

Susie said...

The general consensus is that this recipe is a must try:-)

Kristen said...

I never would have expected a figure skater to produce good food, but I saw the same thing, lots of positive feedback!

This sounds really tasty! Thanks for reviewing it.

Velva said...

This looks really good. I have a friend at work that does his own version of what he calls "Zippy chicken strips" I am going to pass along this recipe to him. Thanks!

SnoWhite said...

I was chicken to try frying these ... but so glad to hear they turned out well for you!

Lindsey said...

This looks great!

Oops! I had a type-o in my blog post. It is suppose to be ground cumin, not cabbage! Sorry. Hope you like it!

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you...thanks for leaving a message!