Quiche Lorraine


Quiche is one of those foods that I've always been afraid to try.  I'm not sure whether it's because I always thought it would be too "hard" to make, or that I was afraid of it failing, or maybe I just didn't have a good understanding of what it is...Doesn't really matter the reason, I suppose, just that I always let my head get in the way.   After perusing the recipe quiche lorraine at smittenkitchen.com I decided to give it the good ol' college try, and boy am I glad I did.   This dish is full of wonderful ham, swiss and my favorite carmelized onions and leeks.  I didn't do the crust portion of the recipe due to time constraints, I used a store bought (and a thousand foodies cried in anguish).

Chop onion..












Leeks..










Sautee them together in olive oil until carmelized...












I could just eat them like this, but I have to finish the quiche.









Layer in the crust the leek/onion mix...












Ham..











Shredded swiss cheese...











Whisk together eggs, sour cream and heavy cream..











Then whisk in nutmeg, salt and pepper...











Pour into pie shell with the rest..











Bake until golden...this was deep dish so it took nearly an hour.









Quiche Lorraine
Adapted from Le Pain Quotidien and borrowed from smittenkitchen.com.

1 3/4 cups diced leeks, white and light green only (from about 2 large leeks, although I think you can get away with one super-big leek)
3/4 cup diced onion
2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil (I needed a tad more)
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Salt
6 tablespoons butter, diced
4 eggs, divided
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
Pinch nutmeg
Pinch pepper
1 1/2 cups diced ham (1/4 -inch dice; I used about 1/2 pound)
3/4 cup grated Swiss cheese


1. Heat a large sauté pan over low heat. Sauté the leeks and onions in the olive oil 30 to 40 minutes until caramelized, occasionally stirring. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch and one-fourth teaspoon salt. Cut the butter in with a pastry blender, fork or two knives until it is in very tiny bits. Add one egg (a fork works great for this) and mix it until a dough forms. (Dough can also be made in a food processor, or in theory, and as the original recipe suggests, in a stand mixer.)
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 12-inch circle. Place the dough in a 9-inch pie plate and press to remove any air bubbles. Crimp the edges, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. While the quiche shell chills, mix the heavy cream and sour cream in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining three eggs. Add a pinch each nutmeg, salt and pepper and combine to form a batter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Remove the quiche shell from the refrigerator and spread the leek and onion mixture evenly over the base. Sprinkle the ham and then the cheese over the leeks and onions. Pour in the batter and place the quiche in the oven.
6. Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. I used a deep-dish crust and the recipe took about double the time, but I checked every 5-10 min past the 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you...thanks for leaving a message!