I've been cutting calories lately....I've reached a weight that I'm quite uncomfortable with and need to lose it so I've been working on a low calorie eating plan of 1500 calories a day and exercising at night when it's nice and cool. It's working, as I lost 5 lbs this past week. It's become a new hobby to find recipes that I like and to switch ingredients or change methods to bring the calorie count down.
Anyway, this is a nifty little recipe that I found at Cooking Light Magazine for a Spicy Poblano and Corn soup. This soup is sweet and spicy at the same time...a delicious, comfy soup for a cold day...serve with tortilla chips.
First, chop an onion and the peppers. There were no poblanos to be had so I substituted jalepenos instead. You may want to NOT use 4 as I did, or at least ditch all of the seeds because HOT MAMA was this SPICY!
Place the onions and peppers in a bowl with 1 tbsp of water and microwave for 3-4 minutes...they'll come up tender and steamed. Use a potholder so you don't burn yourself like I did.
I thought the mix looked pretty when it finished...like a sunny day.
Put 1 cup of corn and 1 1/2 cup skim milk in a soup pot or dutch oven. Bring just to a boil.
When it reaches boiling, stir in the corn puree and the chili pepper mix. Add 3/4 tsp salt or to taste. Stir.
Coming to a boil.....and it's done!
Ladle into bowls and top with shredded cheddar. Serve with tortillas or chips. I ate Kettle black bean tortilla chips with mine. Yum!
Spicy Poblano and Corn Soup
Adapted from Cooking Light
While we prefer poblano chile peppers, you may substitute green chiles instead. Serve this soup with sliced tomatoes and tortillas.
Prep: 3 minutes; Cook: 10 minutes
4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups soup and 2 tablespoons cheese)
* 1 (16-ounce) package frozen baby gold and white corn (such as Birds Eye), thawed and divided
* 2 cups fat-free milk, divided
* 4 poblano chiles, seeded and chopped (about 1 pound)
* 1 cup refrigerated prechopped onion
* 1 tablespoon water
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Place 1 cup corn and 1 1/2 cups milk in a Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat.
2. Combine chopped chile, onion, and 1 tablespoon water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave at HIGH 4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place 2 cups corn and 1/2 cup milk in a blender; process until smooth. Add pureed mixture to corn mixture in pan. Stir in chile mixture and salt, and cook 6 minutes over medium heat. Ladle soup into bowls, and top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese.
239 (15% from fat)
4g (sat 2.2g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.5g)