Garlic Butter Cloverleaf Rolls (Thanks Pioneer woman!)






I had been wanting to try her cast iron skillet rosemary butter rolls, but found out at the last minute that I didn't have rosemary.  I used garlic instead....we were having the rolls with Italian pasta so it worked out well.  I used part of her cinnamon roll dough recipe to make the rolls.  These were delicious!

For the roll dough:
Adapted and modified from a recipe by my idol, Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman

  • 1 quart Whole Milk
  • 1 cup Vegetable Oil
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 2 packages Active Dry Yeast
  • 8 cups (Plus 1 Cup Extra, Separated) All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
  • 1 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
Mix the milk, vegetable oil and sugar in a pan. “Scald” the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point). Turn off heat and leave to cool 45 minutes to 1 hour. When the mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in both packages of Active Dry Yeast. Let this sit for a minute. Then add 8 cups of all-purpose flour. Stir mixture together. Cover and let rise for at least an hour.

After rising for at least an hour, add 1 more cup of flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture together. (At this point, you could cover the dough and put it in the fridge until you need it – overnight or even a day or two, if necessary. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to overflow out of the pan, just punch it down).

I formed small 1 1/2 inch balls and placed 3 to a muffin cup.  Covered with a towel and let rise an hour.

To Top the Rolls:
1/2 stick of butter
sea salt
garlic powder

Melt the stick of butter.  Brush over the risen rolls, and save what you don't use for later.  Sprinkle with as much sea salt and garlic powder as you like.  I baked them at 400 degrees for about 17 minutes, but watch them.  When they're golden, take them out and brush with the remaining butter before serving.  I made 6 small rolls and put the rest of the dough in the fridge for tommorrow.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I made her rosemary rolls last week - Yummy! What does she post that I DON"T want to make?? NOTHING. I drool each time I read her recipes ;)

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you...thanks for leaving a message!