Crockpot Wednesday: Bread pudding



By now ya'll know I'm a New Orleans girl, so you know I love some bread pudding.  I've tried it lots of ways...regular, coconut rum, butterscotch, chocolate.  So when I found this recipe today I know I had to try it.  It didn't hurt the cause that the previous idea that I had for this week's crockpot wednsday ended in disaster.

I was supposed to make a BBQ Meatloaf.  All the ingredients came together, I lined the pot with foil like it said, added the meat and the sauce.  The recipe called for it to cook on low for 6-8 hours so I figured 4-5 on high would do it.

Nope.

At 6 pm it was mostly raw.  That was at the 5 hour mark.  It went into the oven and I promised to not use that crock pot again (it came from Italy, and is on the European power system so it may not work correctly.)  Luckily, I have another crock pot and this recipe is just fine and dandy.

 

Into the pot put 8 cubed slices of bread, a chopped apple and however many raisins float your boat.



Pour over it a mix of 4 eggs, 2  cups of milk, 1/4 c sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  Stir and cook for 1 hour on high, then 3 hours on low.  I promise low is right this time.




It'll be all bubbly and brown and smelling like summerland when it's finished.  To make the sauce melt 2 tbsp margarine or butter in a saucepan.  Then whisk in 2 tbsp flour until smooth.  Gradually add the 1 c water, 3/4 c sugar and 1 tsp vanilla.  Bring to a boil and whisk constantly for 2 minutes until thick.  Spoon over the pudding as you serve.  Makes a lot.

3 comments:

LeAnn * ~ See Great Things said...

Oh, I have great memories of my grandmother making bread pudding. How wonderful to make it in the crock! Thanks for sharing. ~

Gina said...

Thank you!

Velva said...

Bread pudding! Now, that is something that I do not make often enough. Love it.

btw, sorry about the meatloaf. i would try it again in your other crockpot before tossing the recipe.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you...thanks for leaving a message!