FNCC Challenge: Jamie Oliver Pot Roasted Pork in White Wine with Garlic and Fennel



The Food Network chef for this week is Jamie Oliver who has many shows, but probably is best know for "The Naked Chef.."  I've seen a few episodes of his show and liked it, but don't have as much time to watch Food tv as I'd like.

I chose this recipe as it seemed most likely to be eaten and liked by my picky family and it didn't disappoint.
















First, season pork well with salt and pepper.  Then roll in fennel seeds.

 
Next chop a fennel bulb and rosemary.  The recipe calls for unpeeled garlic, but I peeled it so we didn't have skins in the sauce.  Also gather 4 bay leaves.

 Heat some olive oil and half of the butter in a roasting pan, then brown the pork roast on all sides.


Add the fennel, garlic, rosemary and bay leaves.  Pour into the pan half a bottle of Chardonnay. Roast at 400 until meat thermometer reads 150.  Let stand for 15 minutes or so.  Meanwhile melt the butter in the pan with the drippings and veggies to serve as a sauce.

This was fantastic.  I love fennel and this was chock full of it.  I strongly recommend trying this...I served it with roasted potatoes, onions and carrots.



 

Join us for the challenge at  I Thank My Mother's blog..

Pot-roasted Pork in White Wine with Garlic, Fennel, and Rosemary

recipe courtesy of Jamie Oliver at food tv. 

 

Ingredients

  • 1 (3 pound/1.5 kilogram) pork loin, off the bone and skin removed
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
  • 2 to 3 large knobs butter
  • Olive oil
  • 8 cloves garlic, skin left on
  • 1 handful fresh rosemary, leaves picked
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 1 fennel bulb, sliced
  • 1/2 (750 ml) bottle Chardonnay

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
With 2 or 3 bits of string, tie up your pork loin, do this any way you like. It doesn't have to be fussy, you just want to keep the meat in a snug shape while it's cooking. Season generously with salt and pepper, then roll the meat in the fennel seeds until covered.
In a casserole pan or roasting tray, fry the meat for a couple of minutes in half the butter and a little olive oil, until nice and golden.
Throw in the garlic, herbs, fennel, and wine, then cover the tray loosely with some wet greaseproof paper and cook until an inserted meat thermometer reaches 150 degrees F. As the pork loin is off the bone it cooks very quickly. Remove from the oven and allow the meat to rest on a plate. Then, without using any more heat, finish off your sauce in the pan, scraping any goodness off the bottom and adding the rest of the butter. Remove any large bits.

 





7 comments:

Velva said...

Gina, this pork roast looks really good. I don't watch Jaime Oliver as much I would like too either. I must have a thing for accents because Jaime's is divine (smile).

Welcome back! Glad to see you settled in and blogging again.

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Wow this looks fabulous, I am always nervous to do a pork roast, but I will have to try this.

Susie said...

That DOES look really good!!

Candi said...

I love Jamie's show "Jamie at Home" where he cooks out of his own home garden. This looks really good!

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Delicious, love the fennel and garlic.
I agree with Candi - Jamie at Home is a great show, my favourite.

Sarah said...

Welcome back! How do you like your new kitchen?? This recipe looks wonderful. I have never used fennel (the bulb) before but love the seeds. It looks easy enough. Everyone in the fmaily will eat pork loin and veggies. Glad you are back cooking with FNCCC!

SnoWhite said...

That looks wonderful! Nice and full of flavor.

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you...thanks for leaving a message!